Microsoft Exchange has been in the limelight for the last few months for many not-so-good reasons. With advancements in communication tech, sophisticated phishing attacks have left the email security efforts high and dry. Email security has now become paramount for organisations from both security and privacy perspectives.
The vulnerabilities that appeared due to the Microsoft Exchange flaws in March were not the first occurrence of their kind. February 2020 was the month when Microsoft had released a security patch for versions way back to 2010. A great amount of data continuously flows in and out of an organisation’s network periphery via emails. Email security is necessary for protecting confidential and sensitive business information, and safeguarding the privacy of customer’s personally identifiable information (PII), hence a comprehensive, secure email solution based around privacy & security becomes indispensable in today’s digital world.
How Do Email Specific Attacks Take Place?
Whilst there are many ways in which email attacks can occur, one common method starts with the malicious actors gaining access to the email server and once in, deploy malicious code to exploit the system. The malicious actors then try to run exploratory commands to discover vulnerabilities and identify targets. Every email server in this stage is identified and tagged for further penetration. Adversaries also collect individual mailbox accesses and permissions.
Why Are Emails Important For Data Privacy And Security?
Per a Statista report, over 376.4 billion daily emails are expected to be sent and received by 2025. Email is still the primary means of communication for organisations today hence they need strong email security due to the threat of malicious code being embedded in email attachments and URLs.
Once inside the network, hackers may steal data, disrupt system activities, and perform many other illegal activities. In most cases, email messages are not encrypted by default and even lack the most basic security and privacy controls. Adversaries can use personal information such as email, contacts, phone numbers, and/or sensitive financial data for financial gain on the dark web. Loss of personally identifiable information (PII) can lead to hefty regulatory fines and lawsuits.
Emails: Protecting Security And Privacy Of Company Information
Organisations must strictly observe the following steps to keep their email communication secure and protected from external attacks to safeguard the security and privacy of their valuable information assets:
- Regular Patch Updates: Every new security patch that is released should be extensively tested and enabled.
- Anti-Phishing Solutions: The antivirus and anti-phishing functions on the email server should be enabled at all times.
- Identity & Access Management: Access to email servers and administrative accounts must be provided only to the users whose roles have been authorised and on a need to know basis.
- Continuous Monitoring: Every alert that pops up about any suspicious activity has to be checked thoroughly. There is always a pattern of usage, which has to be observed and noted. Any spike in activity or out-of-the-ordinary usage needs to be investigated.
Key Characteristics To Look For In A Holistic Email Security Solution
Searching for an email service with enhanced security and privacy features that stand out amongst multiple options available in the market needn’t be a chore. A few essential traits to consider include:
- Ease of Use: Systems with standard settings to force maximum privacy standards and provides automatic setup and excellent customer experience.
- Total Privacy: A solution that provides complete privacy by providing peer to peer encryption, does not display unnecessary ads, and is GDPR compliant.
- Email Compatibility: The solution must communicate privately with everyone required.
- Email Security: Secure end-to-end message encryption, secure local data storage, protection from man-in-the-middle (MITM) and phishing attacks.
AperiMail is proud to offer a solution that utilises each of these features, plus many more. Discover the enhanced security and privacy centric features that come standard with a 14 day free trial.